Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Happy Birthday Kaden!!

Actually Kaden's Birthday was way back in October, but as you all know I'm playing catch-up.  The point is still the same.  My sweet little boy is now 6 years old and in Kindergarten!  I'm so glad we were back in Draper when school started.  Having lived here off and on through the years Kaden has a few little buddies he's gotten to know pretty well.  I don't know if he was more excited to start school or ride the bus, but he was one happy kid when he got home that day.


Kindergarten has brought its own new challenges to our family.  Just getting to the bus stop in time has given me more stress than I expected.  On top of that I am constantly on the look out for bullies.  He had a little problem with an older boy on the bus, but from what I could tell that boy was mean to everyone, so at least Kaden wasn't being singled out.  A great relief has been Mikey.  He's the older brother of one of Kaden's friends, and rides the bus home with Kaden in the afternoon.  Mikey is a very kind and cool kid, the best part... he's in the sixth grade and is very tall for his age.  No one messes with Mikey or his friends.  :)  I'm thankful his big brother protection extends to Kaden as well.  I don't know why I worry so much about Kaden being bullied.  He's a really nice kid and makes friends easily.  I guess I just don't want him to go through any of that and me not even know.  Either way, knowing Kaden has people to look over him when I can't makes me feel better.

Now on to the Birthday.  Because this was the first year Kaden had some real friends in addition to family he was really excited to have a fun party with everyone.  I was pretty excited too, and will be the first to admit I probably went a little overboard.  But it was so much fun!

We had a Super Hero themed party and thanks to Pinterest I found some really cute ways to make it really fun.  So if you want more details on decorations just go to my birthday file there.

All the kids were told to come as their favorite super hero or make-up a new one.  We had an obstacle course set up outside, water balloon target practice, and silly string the bad guy to keep the kids busy.  I also made a back drop out of an old tablecloth of a city skyline to take the kids pictures in front of.  At the end of the party we gave them the photo in a super hero frame I made as a party favor.  I thought that would be pretty fun, but I still had a couple kids ask me if they were going to get candy to take home too.  Well, at least the parents probably liked the pictures.



It was a really fun party.  Kaden loved it.  And other than all my planned activities being over an hour before the party ended everything went smoothly.


Kaden was also very excited to open his presents from Aunt Mo and Uncle Scotty.  Mo gave him tickets to a Real Soccer game complete with cotton candy.  Thanks Mo!  And Scotty gave Kaden his first piggy bank.  He was so excited.  I'm glad Kaden had such a special day.  He's a very good, sweet kid it was fun to give him all the attention for a day.


The only downside is that now Jocilyn's expecting a big beautiful princess party.  I may have to give it to her.  How can I give one child a big fun party and not the other one?  Next year though they both better be expecting cake and ice cream at home with mom, dad, and Savannah because there's no way I can do this every year!

1 comment:

The Conductor said...

Wow, Ashley! SO fun! I love the picture/party favor idea. I'm sure you will do an absolutely fabulous job on Jo's princess party. And yes! Be sure to take a break from parties next year! (My mom would let us do parties one year, go out to dinner with Mom and Dad the next year... I heard of someone who only does parties at ages 5, 8, 12, and 16 -- thought I would try that too, but it turns out I actually have a little bit of fun doing the parties, so we do them more like the way my mom did it...)