Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lois Ruth Jones


Kimball's mom passed away last night from leukemia. She was an incredible woman. I know I wont do her justice and others have already done a better job than I could do, but my blog is how I stay in touch with those I love and She is too important for me to not mention and say I love and will miss her.

When I think of her, two things come to mind. She loved her Heavenly Father and his gospel, and she loved her family. All of her energy was spent serving these two things. You couldn't go into her house without her trying to make you something to eat. No matter how much you resisted or how full you were she would always find something for you to munch on. We went to Rexburg for Christmas last year and Mom was in the hospital for most of our trip. We stopped by to tell her good bye before we started back for Utah and she started making us a sandwich out of her hospital food! We of course couldn't accept the sandwich despite the love that went into it, but its the perfect example of how she could not stop giving and caring for those she loved, and she loved everyone.
When I first joined the family five years ago I was nervous and scared. I now had nieces and nephews only a year or two younger than I was. I felt like just a child who could never be seen as an equal with Kimball's family. I quickly discovered I was wrong. Kimball's mom always called me her own and I knew I was as much a part of her family as anyone else.

I never felt judged by her. She set an incredible example, and I think assumed, despite our mistakes, we were doing our best as well. I know she worried about all of us at some point for one reason or another, but that actually brings me comfort now that she's gone. I don't know much about the spirit world or how things work, but I believe that she is now able to watch over her children in ways she couldn't before. When before she did her best to comfort with a phone call she can now wrap her spirit around us when we need her. Distance isn't a barrier for her anymore. I feel the same way about the gospel. She was so frustrated when she didn't have the strength she needed to do genealogy or the other work of the church. I know she will be very busy doing our Heavenly Father's work and she will love every minute of it. Like I said, I don't know much about the Spirit World, but I know Mom is going to be happy there preparing for the Second Coming and will do what she can to help her children be with her again.

6 comments:

Ashlee said...

Our prayers are with you! What you wrote was beautiful and I am sure that she was a wonderful woman.

The Conductor said...

Ashley, this was just beautiful. I loved your entire last paragraph about the Spirit World. I, too, know very little about it, but I feel it is much like what you described. I've been thinking all those same things all day long today, and I love how you worded it. I agree Mom "can now wrap her spirit around us," because I can feel it! I've smiled today thinking of her peeking in on us and seeing Spencer for the first time, and visiting all her children and grandchildren wherever we might be. What a legacy she has left us, and what a blessing to have known, loved, and been loved by her!

Amy said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. We know that Kimball's mom has been struggling for some time now and what a blessing that she can finally be in peace and in a better place. Please let us know if we can do anything to help you guys. Love you!

Shelley said...

We are thinking of you...no matter how long you know it is coming, it is still hard to have her actually gone. She did leave an amazing legacy of wonderful children and grandchildren! Ashley - you write very beautifully!

kathy w. said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Valerie Christensen said...

Ashley--I thought I commented about Kimball's mom a long time ago, but I guess I didn't. I'm so sorry! I just wanted to let you know that I have been thinking of you and I am so sorry for your loss. We really know what you are going through--Jared's mom passed away from breast cancer in 2004. It was a hard time and we still miss her so much. But it has strengthened my testimony of the atonement and given me a lot of peace knowing that families are forever. I'm glad your mother-in-law was able to meet your beautiful children.