Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Hello again! + The Emergency Room

Let's face it.  I am a terrible blogger, but that said this is still better than I've ever done with a journal so I'm going to keep at it!

Because I have over six months of time to catch up on including some major milestones (new baby, kindergarten, etc.)  I've set a schedule for myself and within the next couple of weeks I'll hopefully be all caught up.

I suppose I should just start where I left off.  Kimball did in fact come home safely from Morocco, quite a bit sooner than we expected.  He was only gone 17 days in total.  Just long enough to pick up some souvenirs and realize Morocco is actually not hot just humid.  He loved the experience and is keeping his eyes open for any other small missions like this one.  For the time being I don't mind too much.  I always miss him when he's gone and am sure I always will, but I'm getting used to handling the kids by myself when he's away.  It is nice to play tag team when the kids are being a handful though.  I don't want anyone to misunderstand.  I wish Kimball never had to be away for even one night and I miss him like crazy every time he leaves.  But right now, that seems to be a part of what's necessary, so I'm trying to adjust.


Next order of business...

Our families first emergency room visit.


This next story is painful to tell because it begins with me being a know-it-all and ends with Jocilyn paying the consequences.

Living in Rexburg has many advantages, one of them being lots of family very close.  One night we decided to take advantage of the closeness and got together for dinner with Kimball's dad and Phyllis.  So we're all sitting down at the table when Phyllis tells me not to let Jocilyn stay in the chair she chose because she could fall over.  After looking at the chair (a plastic short patio furniture type) I decided she would be just fine and even if she did fall it would be on carpet and from not very high up.  She needed to learn to sit still in chairs anyway.  I was a soon-to-be mother of three after all so of course I knew what I was talking about.

I'm sure you can guess what happens from here.  Within about 15 minutes Jocilyn had tipped her chair backwards, and did she land on carpet?  Yes, but not before her head bounced off of the corner of the wooden table behind her.

...
...

Sorry, I was just swallowing my pride for a moment there.

She was of course balling and screaming and while we were cuddling her we realized she was bleeding a lot.  When we looked at the cut it didn't look all that big, but it was deep.  So thanks to my guilt and natural tendency to over react we took her to the hospital.

I hated explaining what happened to the nurses, over and over again.  I know I didn't really do anything wrong, but I'm always afraid they'll find a hiccup in my story and decide I'm an unfit mother and try to take my children away.  (Like I said, I'm a natural over-reactor.)

It turned out to be a good thing we took Jocilyn in.  They cleaned her up, rubbed some anasthetic on her cut, and used some staples to pin her back together.  Had we not taken her in, at the very least her scar would have been a lot bigger and possibly become infected.  That would be after a week or so of wondering if she had a concussion,  infection or brain damage.  Even the nurse turned out not to be scary.  She knew Kimball from when we went to school at BYU-I, and didn't declare me unfit.


She was such a trooper.  She didn't cry or anything once we were at the hospital, not even during the staples.  And she LOVED the bandage they gave her, pink and purple hearts!


Don't mind the pictures.  She's just hamming it up for the camera.  She was actually laughing through most of this, but wanted to play the part for the pictures.  My little drama queen, she just soaked in all that attention.  And please don't look to carefully at me, I'm almost nine months pregnant after all.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

New baby!??! I wanna see!! I'm glad you're back, I've been wondering what you've been up to. Keep the posts coming!

The Conductor said...

I never heard this story. How fun to see it in pictures, too! (p.s. You are NOT a bad mother! At least you've never been written up by the state for child neglect because your 2-y.o. took your minivan for a spin into your neighbor's garage...)